Happy New Year! As 2018 draws to a close, we spent some time reflecting on all that the Friends of Elisabeth Leseur have accomplished under the guidance of our “beloved Master” to promote Elisabeth Leseur’s fame of sanctity.
- International Association created
- In early 2018, a tax-exempt association was created with members from around the world with the goal of promoting Elisabeth’s fame of sanctity as well as support for work on her cause for canonization.
- Conference in Paris
- A half-day conference for Elisabeth at Saint Germain-des-Pres on October 16th. Special thanks to France Roseau and Jeanne Binet for arranging all the details in Paris.
- Masses for Elisabeth’s cause
- May 3rd – 7 masses in the United States and 3 in France
- October 16th – 1 mass in the United States and 1 in France as part of the conference
- Our team of translators translated over 100,000 words for various publications to help us share the life and words of Elisabeth around the world! Thank you Isabelle, Jose, Denisse, and Giulia!
- The Pittsburgh Catholic Newspaper – Article about the conference
- Paris Notre Dame – Article about the conference
- Humanitas Review (Chile) – Article and book review
- Give Us This Day (July and November) – Elisabeth’s own writing
- Saint-Germain-en-Laye Parish selects Bernadette Chovelon’s book, Élisabeth et Félix Leseur: Itinéraire spirituel d’un couple, as its 2018 “Spring Read”
- Forgotten Books published in March – Journal Et Pensées de Chaque Jour: Précédés d’une Lettre du R. P. Janvier, O. P (Classic Reprint)
- Dominican periodical, “w drodze” in Poland – An article about Elisabeth and Felix
- eNews and Monthly Reflections
- Guest writers were first introduced in March 2018, and we have had guest writers from five countries.
- Our email distribution group has grown to just over 200. We continue to issue the email in five languages.
- We received many prayer requests this year and have shared them on ELCause.org.
- An Online donation capability was made available on ELCause.org in English.
- The International Association received 10 on-line gifts.
- ELCause.org had 3,700 users visit the site from 61 countries
- “Friends of Servant of God – Elisabeth Leseur” Facebook group
- A friend offered to the International Association ownership for the existing Facebook group (~300+ members). Karen Feitl has taken over administration of this group and has done a wonderful work posting quotes and keeping this group very active.
January 2019 Reflection
Just before Christmas, I was blessed to spend some time in person with Sister Janet Ruffing, a Sister of Mercy and the author of the book Elisabeth Leseur Selected Writings. Sister Janet was in Pittsburgh to join with the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas in commemorating 175 years of ministry in the United States. It was a wonderful experience to meet the woman who’s book on Elisabeth has had such an impact on my life. Sr. Janet’s book has helped introduce Elisabeth’s spirituality to a whole new generation.
For January’s reflection I selected a small portion of one of my favorite letters between Elisabeth and Sr. Goby that is included in Sr. Janet’s book. These words of Elisabeth help to remind me how connected we all are in prayer and work through our “beloved Master”.
January 12, 1912
It’s been so long since I have chatted with you, and I have decided this….cannot continue. True, we’re never really separated, since we live and work for the same beloved Master and are one with him in front of the tabernacle or at other times of prayer. And yet I experience such a deep calm, truly a consolation, when I am able to open my heart to you, fully one with you in Spirit.
How reassuring it is to feel surrounded and wrapped in divine love, realizing that our all loving Father is bringing us to the eternal shores, letting us occasionally breathe in from a far their life-giving scents. And then, if the path becomes more difficult and our guide less visible, we surrender ourselves blindly to his gentle direction, waiting in self-forgetfulness until God’s presence can be felt once more. Earth is not heaven, after all, and were we always surrounded by spiritual consolations, we might find it difficult to understand the difference. We have been given the grace we need to help us reach the joys of our much desired heaven.
Ways You Can Help
We are asking that you consider having a mass offered at your local parish for Elisabeth on (or around) the anniversary of her death: 3-May. We’d also love for you to let us know if you do (parish name & location); an important part of advancing her cause is to demonstrate a continued following from around the world.
Confirmed Masses – The Pittsburgh Oratory (May 3rd)
We continue to receive prayer requests and periodically update the Prayer Requests page. If you would like to add a prayer request, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
With our prayers,
Jennifer and Joe